Thursday, February 26, 2009

White Privilege

The article by Peggy McIntosh talks about racism. It was interesting in the fact that she refers to the word “white privilege” drowning what she really means. But in fact it really means how the white population has an advantage over minorities, because of this white people take what they have for granted and don’t fully appreciate it. She also made some interesting points by talking about how people buy band aids to match their skin color just so they would not be harassed. Although it seems like this article was written quite a while ago because some of the I can statements she has, you just don’t see any more.
I agree with some things she says. Since I am Chinese but born here in America, I can full relate to some of the points she makes. Some of the typical stereotypes I deal with are that the only thing I eat is rice. When you are applying for a job or university it seems like Caucasians have the upper hand. When you open the paper or TV you would usually see one race represented.
Points that I would disagree with are that when we hire people here in the United States, there has been a law put in place so that it has to be a fair hiring process. Although I believe that some people are subconsciously raciest. I believe that all people start out a non raciest but it’s the people around them that influence them to be who they are. Another thing I would not agree on is how she was saying we should lower the mens standard. Maybe it’s because I’m bias being a male, but why would you lower a standard to meet others? It does not make sense.
I don’t really see privilege of all sorts affecting the spread and treatment of HIV/AIDS. It seems like it is more of a social economical issue than a racial one because if you look at who has AIDS now, it’s all types of races. I agree with addressing it as a larger system will help talking about sexual health. Sometimes it is good to step back and look at the larger issue instead of just being narrow minded and only paying attention to only the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment